Monday, June 10, 2013

flying


Been listening to Terry Gross on Fresh Air today about flying (her guest is Mark Gerchick, who wrote a book about it).  Makes you want to take the bus.  I like flying a lot, but I don't do it very often anymore.

Everyone complains about legroom, but I'm short and try to get the aisle seat if I can.  Airline food used to be on the complaint list, but now you just get peanuts and a coke, so...no big deal.  Standing in long lines is a pain, but those ticket kiosks are really nice and speed up the process.  My complaint is the booking process and how the prices change on a whim.  Up one day, down the next.  Sucks.


Terry
Plane

Bus




I like Terry best....








The last time I flew, from Minnesota to Dallas, I opted out of the scanner.  At MSP they have those big full-body scanners, and I thought 'heck no,' and went for the pat-down instead.  Some people don't want to get touched by a TSA person, but frankly it doesn't bother me -- better than extra radiation -- and it didn't add to my wait time too much.

Sometimes I have to book a flight with 2 legs (with the connecting flight).  I like those.  I try not to check a bag -- carry-on, baby! -- and I want a long layover.  A nice long layover lets me enjoy a beer in a bar, despite the cost.



As Homer Simpson would say:  "mmmm...beer."




No comments:

Post a Comment